Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Do you ever ruminate over something that has happened?

Your productivity goes right out the window as you muddle it over and over in your head thinking about how unfair the situation is or what you should have said, etc., etc.

I recently had a family situation that really upset me and seemed to consume my thoughts. The work I had intended to do got put on the back burner while I replayed the conversation over and over again in my mind. No very productive huh?

I am a huge fan of meditation however when my monkey mind has hijacked my brain with looping thoughts a traditional sitting meditation will not work for me.

What does work:

1. Any kind of physical activity. Running, swimming, walking or anything else that keeps my focus elsewhere. I love walking while repeating a mantra or affirmation. This too shall pass is one of my favorites.

2.Journaling- Writing out my thoughts.

3.Confiding in a friend who will listen sympathetically but who will not get caught up in the drama with me.:-)

4. Breathing exercises.

5. Getting back to the work I am passionate about as quickly as I can.

Ah, I feel better already. :-) Thanks for listening.

No comments: